Pages

(Everything looks picture perfect from the street, but once you're inside it's a whole other story.)

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Those 3 Little Words

There comes a time in every parent's life when your child says something that moves you.  Moves you to tears, hysterical fits of laughter, or just plain moves you off your tucchus because your kid just said something that requires parental action!

My time came only yesterday, when my almost 3-year-old sponge looked up at me with her big blue eyes and breathed, "I hate you."  No sarcasm or true hatred dripped off her tongue with this sentiment, mind you.  I don't really even remember her being reprimanded for anything which could even warrant this devastating news.  It came out as nonchalantly as it possibly could have - as though she was merely trying it on for size...just to see what I would do, perhaps?

"I hate you."  

Really?  Already?  Quiet, meek even - yet it rattled me to the core.  Yes, folks, my heart broke just a bit that day.  My mini-me had cut me to the quick.  Does she even know what "hate" means?  Surely not!  She does, however, know where she learned these words, and she saw what happened to the child who dared utter such a thing in the presence of said child's parents.  Yet, the true princess decided to try it out herself anyway.  Was she testing the boundaries as any good little almost 3-year-old should?  But of course!  (read: I sure as heck hope so!)

Lordy, the worst thing I recall telling my mom was that she was embarrassing.  I guess I'll have to agree with the experts on this one - today's parents have it rough!  

"I hate you."  At age 3?  I wonder what gem she'll throw my way at 4.  At least, in my childhood days, we had the common decency to wait until our teenage years before we spoke such harsh words.

No comments:

Post a Comment